What is countertrade? It is a general term for an international transaction that is premised on some form of reciprocity. In the Philippine government setting, countertrade is a supplemental trade tool in connection with transactions involving the importation or procurement of foreign capital equipment, machinery, products, goods and services of at least US$1 million and above (or its foreign currency equivalent). The Countertrade policy was created by virtue of Executive Order (EO) No. 120 by former President Fidel V. Ramos and applies to the national government, its departments, bureaus, agencies and offices, including government-owned and controlled corporations (GOCCs).
We are the sole implementing agency of the Countertrade Program on behalf of the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI). We engage in the following forms of Countertrade:
- Offsets - Whereby the primary supplier commits, as a condition of sale, to undertake or to introduce a wide range of industrial and commercial activities for the benefit of the buyer or the buyer's country such as:
- Industrial cooperation/participation
- Technology transfer
- Training and skills upgrade
- Research and development
- Others (such as projects that contribute to the priority development programs of the buyer and/or support to the national development programs of the buying country)
- Counterpurchase (Counter Exports) - Whereby the primary supplier accepts parallel obligations to purchase products and/or services from the buyer's country.
OIC - Department Manager
Direct Line: (+632) 818-9801 loc 326
Fax No.: (+632) 892-1261
- Countertrade Citizens Charter
- Countertrade Policy Brief
- Executive Order No. 120 s. 1993 and the Implementing Rules and Regulations of Countertrade
- Government Procurement Policy Board Resolution No. 14 - 2005 on Countertrade
- Memorandum Circular No. CT 2012-001 on Multipliers and Countertrade Monitoring Fees
- Template of Countertrade Undertaking
- Template of Countertrade Agreement
- Summary of Completed Countertrade Transactions - 1989 to 2014
We look forward to working with you!